Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Camera...

... And my strife.


(Img. 1 - This is the camera itself. A big cardboard box with a magnifying glass. Carefully taped up and taped to the scanner.)


My photographic practice is just that; Practice. I used a modified A4 flatbed scanner to produce most of my photographs this year. And this is a fairly temperamental technique. Similar to that of a pinhole camera, I use a camera obscura to transfer the image onto a light reactive surface (the scanner). This method has caused a few problems through out the year. At first I was unsure that the technique would actually work. The first image I got was less than spectacular (Img. 2) and I was tempted to stop then. however with some perseverance I managed to work out how to focus the camera by sliding the outer layer of cardboard up. This primary research was great fun, frustrating at times but in the end paid off and became rather rewarding.


(Img. 2 - The first image.)


(Img. 3 - Second image. Even though I'd seen it work on the internet and the basic scientific principles seemed to be all in order . I did feel like a pioneer in photography when I managed to achieve this. A photo of the corner of my bedroom. How exciting!)


The camera is also tempermental in the way that I can only ever get it to capture this seagull ish type shaped part. Sometimes its there sometimes not. I just cope. Also the appature (despite me saying it was similar to a pin hole.) Is about big enough to get my hand through. I've tried different appatures but none seem to work quite as well.
So;

MASSIVE appature= Tiny depth of field. (I think that bit of science is right.)
So yeah to get anything in focus takes some time.

Another thing is if its bright daylight I have to make different appatures to make it work. Usually consisting of layers and layers of parcel tape stuck over the lens with a small hole made with a biro. The camera works better in man made light/Low lighting conditions.

1 comment: