Thursday, May 13, 2010

Expel thy demons.

Right. So we're all in the dark. (Students writing this Learning agreement.)
Nobody quite knows whats going on.
So... Im just going to try cover some of the things I've been hearing that is needed in the learning agreement. All in this one post.


Numero Uno.

Its only work produced since Christmas.



(Img. 1 - Peel.)

OK, Well according to Cagd. This image was uploaded on January 7th (Img. 1)
This image is on page 29 (as of: 13.05.09, 10:48am) which equates to around 350ish images/text/links/research uploaded to to the website.
Summarising this would take as long as it would be to do all the work again!

Thank god we're not summarising the whole year. First image posted: 28th September, 2009 page 44 (as of: 13.05.09, 11:29am).



Number Two.

In some form or another I have been told that these words are THE WORDS, to think about when writing about my work.
• Reflection
• Proposal
• Negotiation
• Implementation
• Evaluation


And because I don't think I've really done this yet. I will now.

• Reflection - This year as a whole has looked like one massive eclectic mess of work; Animation/Text based work/Photography/Video and whole heap of experimenting with scanners.

My main struggles with work are usually just the initial getting going. If I cant figure out what exactly I want to do, I end up running round like a headless chicken. However after Christmas my decision to stick with using a scanner to produce my work worked massively for me. I enjoyed the freedom to just produce what I liked and also trying the change the actual workings of the scanner (to little success but never the less was fun.) I think its this care free approach, with a bit of tongue in cheek is my way of working. The less I worry about it the better the work is.


• Proposal - My proposal was just really to experiment with the scanner as my main tool for creativity. I wanted to get out of the house. Out of my comfort zone. And try to react to my surroundings, working with people and generally having some fun.
So yeah;
Aim: Experiment with scanner.
Objectives: 1. Get out of the house. 2. Collaborate. 3. Try to retain some humour.

The scanner as a tool is still, for me an incomplete exploration. I would still like to be able to carry on playing with this. Expanding some of the methods I only touched on briefly to see them to their full potential.

• Negotiation - I've negotiated in several situations. Tutorials/taking photos/collaboratively. In tutorials, discussions that lead to decisions about what to be working on, discussing ideas etc.

Whilst taking photos is actually where a lot of the negotiation takes place. getting access to buildings, asking people to take their photo. These are challenges that have to be faced but if you dont ask. You don't get. So I've found that perseverance is important.

Collaboratively negotiation is a joy. This year I've enjoyed working with Amy Cattell on 2 publications, both of which came out great. Problems were solved together and there was lots of discussion about how the final article should look. In the end I think we both came out of the experience with publications that wouldn't have looked the same had we not collaborated.

• Implementation - The implementation of ideas into my chosen method came later on this year. For me most of the year was the exploration. The importance of exploring the medium I chose first to find a suitable way of working. Then going on to react to days out/workshops with this medium. My ideas were much stronger after I found the potential of the technology, seeing the particular aesthetics it gives an idea of what it should be applied to.

• Evaluation - (I will actually do this properly in an individual post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment